The draw for the Euro 2020 football
2020 European Football Championship is a unique tournament. The selection for Euro 2020 will take place de facto during two tournaments: the classic qualifying round, which will begin in 2019, and the playoff rounds of the divisions of the League of Nations, which ended at the end of November this year. In addition, the UEFA Executive Committee has made some changes to the regulations of the tournament itself, which will be held in 12 cities across Europe instead of one or two countries.
As in the case of Euro 2016, 24 teams will take part in the 2020 European Football Championship. The tournament matches will be held, unlike previous similar UEFA and FIFA tournaments, in 12 cities located throughout Europe:
|London||Wembley. Euro 2020 finals will take place at this sports arena|
|St. Petersburg||Zenit Arena. This stadium will host matches of group B and one of the quarter finals|
|Budapest||"Stadium named after Ferenc Puskas". This stadium is currently under construction.|
|Amsterdam||Amsterdam Arena. Today, this stadium is also called the "Johan Cruyff Arena"|
Thus, not one of the 55 national teams of the continent will qualify for Euro 2020 automatic as a host country.
It should be noted that Euro-2024 will be held in one host country. Germany received the honorary right to host this tournament, the application of which gained more votes than the application of Turkey - the only opponent of the representatives of the German Football Union.
Of the 24 teams, 20 will enter the final phase of the competition following the results of the qualifying round, and the remaining four participants in the main football tournament among European teams will be determined by the results of the playoffs of the UEFA Nations League divisions.
2020 European Qualifiers
The main selection phase for Euro 2020 will begin in mid-March 2019. This round of the championship will be held according to the classical scheme:
- All 55 UEFA member teams will take part in the qualification tournament.
- Before the draw, all European football teams will be divided into four baskets based on their current rating.
- As a result of the draw, 9 groups are formed, in each of which six teams are credited. In the remaining group - in the case of Euro 2020 we are talking about group A - only five teams will speak.
- It should be noted that more than two Euro-host teams cannot be sown in one group.
- In one group, the football squads of the country in strained relations also cannot play. For example, the teams of Russia and Ukraine or Armenia and Azerbaijan cannot be in one group.
- During the draw, the climate characteristics of the countries were also taken into account. Football teams from the Nordic countries, including Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, as well as the Baltic and Scandinavian countries, will play the minimum number of matches in March and November.
- The organizers also took into account the geographic location of some potential European football contenders. National teams located at the maximum possible distance from each other will play a minimum number of games among themselves.
The draw for the 2020 European Football Championship was held on December 2, 2018 in Dublin. Within an hour, all potential Euro participants were divided into groups as follows:
UEFA Nations LeagueThe UEFA Executive Committee announced the creation of this fundamentally new tournament in 2014. Listed below are some of the highlights of this competition:
- The UEFA League of Nations includes all 55 UEFA member states and regions.
- By analogy with the baskets in the case of the classic qualifying round, the league participants are divided into four divisions based on their position in the overall ranking of the national teams.
- Groups of 3-4 teams are formed inside the divisions. In the weakest of the divisions - League D - each of the groups consists of four squads, and in Division C there are only three such groups.
- According to the results of the tournament, the participants of the playoff tournaments are determined. They become the winners of the groups.
- In the case of divisions B, C and D, the winners of the groups receive tickets to the higher division.
- The worst teams of divisions A, B and C, in turn, will play in weaker leagues during the next league draw.
At the moment, playoff participants from each of the leagues have already been identified:
|Division||Tournament participants for the right to get to the European Football Championship|
|BUT||Netherlands, Switzerland, Portugal and England|
|AT||Ukraine, Sweden, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Denmark. It is worth noting that the Swedish national football team received a ticket to the playoffs after defeating the Russian team with a score of 2-0|
|FROM||Scotland, Finland, Norway and Serbia|
|D||Georgia, Belarus, Macedonia and Kosovo|
The winners of each of these four quartets will become the owners of the coveted tickets to the main football tournament among the teams of European countries.
European football championships have been held every four years since 1960. Each draw of this competition attracts close attention of not only European football fans, but also experts and fans from around the world. As part of this championship, games are regularly held between the strongest teams of the Old World, which in most cases are considered one of the most powerful and titled teams in the world. The change in the Euro regulations has allowed to attract the attention of even more people to this tournament, and will also give an opportunity to many weak teams, including the “dwarfs" of the European football world, the opportunity to speak at this prestigious tournament.
The results of the draw for the Euro 2020 football: video